Chicken Taco Soup
Chicken Taco Soup
By: Susan Joy
This paleo-friendly chicken taco soup is packed with flavour, nutrients and texture.
It’s a main meal family soup that’s quick and easy to make. I’ve toasted and salted pumpkin seeds to add a bit of crunch to replace crushed corn chips that you would normally find sprinkled on taco soup. I’ve added coconut milk to help make the soup a little creamier, as regular taco soup will have a dollop of sour cream. I’ve also topped the soup with, diced avocado, sliced spring onions, chopped coriander leaves and a dusting of smoked paprika.
- 2 Tbsp ghee, or coconut oil
- 2 Lge onion(s), finely diced
- 2 Lge carrot(s), finely diced
- 2 Lge celery stick(s), finely diced
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- I Tbsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp powdered chilli, or extra to your taste
- 1 L (4 cups) chicken broth/stock
- 700ml organic passata/tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Zest & juice from 1 lime(s), (grate off the zest first then juice)
- 270ml can of coconut milk, (a thick brand like Ayam)
- 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 400g cooked shredded chicken, (approx. 4 generous cups or whole chicken)
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, (firmly packed)
- Topping: diced avocado, sliced spring onions, chopped fresh coriander, leaves
- Optional: toasted & salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas), to replace corn chips and give a crunch
Heat a large soup pot on medium heat. Add the ghee, onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring often for 6 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Stir in the cumin, coriander, oregano, smoked paprika and chilli powder, and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the chicken broth, passata, apple cider vinegar, lime zest and juice, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables soften.
Pour in the coconut milk. Then add the shredded cooked chicken and bring back to a simmer. Add the sea salt and adjust to your taste.
Once the soup is pipping hot, turn off the heat and stir the baby spinach through the soup.
Ladle the soup into bowls and add the toppings, diced avocado, spring onions (include green tops), coriander leaves, toasted pumpkin seeds and a dusting of smoked paprika.
Prepare the toppings while the soup is simmering. To make the crispy pumpkin seeds, add a little ghee to a frying pan on medium-low heat and toast 1/2 cup of the seeds, stirring for a few minutes until slightly golden, sprinkle with a little sea salt and set aside. For each bowl of soup, use approximately 1/4 avocado, one tablespoon each of sliced spring onions and chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Article supplied with thanks to The JOYful Table.
About the Author: Susan is an author of The JOYful Table cookbook containing gluten & grain free, and Paleo inspired recipes for good health and wellbeing.
Feature image: Supplied
Other Articles You May Like
By: Russ Matthews When The Greatest Showman opened, many may have...
By: Tania Harris In the church of late, deconstruction seems to...